The Chinese Studies Program at University of Houston will offer a graduate course in a teacher training program, July 8-19, 2013
Thanks to the STARTALK grant, the National Security Language Initiative, the Chinese Studies Program at the University of Houston will offer a graduate course (CHNS 6398: Issues in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language) in the “Startalk Texas Teacher Program at the University of Houston” for the second time. The grant will cover instruction, tuition, fees, and learning materials for teachers of Chinese in community colleges, K-12, and heritage schools. The program will take place on July 8-19, and two follow-up sessions.
Through presentations, observations, hands-on activities, and collaborative learning, participants construct their knowledge in a learner-centered environment, and develop their capacity to become master teachers. Participants will
1) conceptualize the National Standards; apply the standards to theme/content-based curriculum design and learner-centered instruction,
2) study SLA theories via examination of critical issues such as learning processes, comprehensible input, interactive learning, and task-based instruction,
3) discuss Chinese vocabulary instruction: from theories to methodology,
4) examine Pedagogical Grammar in the areas of tones, sentence structures, pragmatics, and culture,
5) apply the theories of Backward Design to CFL curriculum and micro-teaching,
6) learn techniques for differentiated instruction to accommodate different needs of learners, and
7) conduct performance-based assessments with a focus on “what students can do with language” rather than “what they know about language.”
Only 20 seats are available. Please submit the online application ASAP or by 4/1/2013.
Applicants should include a one-page essay in English that describes:
1) What you hope to achieve by participating in the program.
2) What project you plan to develop to share with other teachers. The projects may include a standards-based curriculum design with theme-based units, daily lesson plans, curriculum materials tailored to their own students, or a course syllabus with instructional and assessment samples.
2013年7月8 – 19日開設研究生課程培訓中文教師
今年休斯頓大學中文專業(The Chinese Studies Program, UH)再次喜獲聯邦政府的星談基金STARTALK。星談基金是國家安全語言策略的一個重要項目。休大的項目專門給學員開設研究生課程(CHNS 6398: Issues in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language), 培訓在职中文教師。完成課程和培訓項目的學員將獲得休大研究生課的三個學分及学业证书。上課時間為2013年 7 月8日至19日，另加10月12日和11月2日兩天的后續課程。地址是休士頓大學主校園。不住在大休士頓大地區的學員可住校，項目提供住房補助。
Photos of the CLTA-TX 2012 Conference in Houston:
Conclusion of Startalk Texas Teacher Program
at University of Houston
- Time: 9-12am, Sat. 11/10/2012
- Place: 12 AH, Main Campus, UH
- Featured Presentations:
- Dr. Xiaohong Wen 温晓虹
- Director of Chinese Studies at UH
- “Challenges and changes in the CFL field.”
- Dr. Shuai Li 郦帅, Guest Speaker
- Georgia State University
- “Research based instruction: pragmatic development in L2 Chinese in instructed and uninstructed environment”
- Teachers of Chinese and foreign languages are all invited!
- More info: http://www.uh.edu/class/mcl/chinese/startalk/
这次年会得到了休斯奥迪国际学校（The Awty International School）的大力支持。学校赞助了场地，设备和礼品。年会当天奥迪国际学校的校长郭林同博士 (Dr. Steve Codrington) 在会上对德州的中文老师们表示了敬佩，并鼓励各位中文老师为德州的中文教育发展做出更大的贡献。这次活动也得到了休斯顿总领馆的支持，教育组的徐白羽领事代表领馆参加了活动，给予精神和经济方面的大力支持。当天的午餐是由奥迪学校Sage Catering名厨Tim精心炮制的法国大餐。
德州中文教师协会成立近10年来，致力于德州蒸蒸日上的中文教育。协会每年在德州不同城市举办年会，从全美各地邀请活跃在中文教育园地的专家举办有关中文教学的讲座，造福于在中文教育道路上辛勤探索的中文老师。今年是德州中文教师协会有史以来第二次在休斯顿举办年会。协会不仅给老师们每年举办大型年会和各种培训活动; 发行有关专业和信息方面的季刊; 每年为老师建立和颁发基金；并及时给会员发送来自全美各地工作招聘的信息; 让会员全面了解德州中文教育的行情。该协会为德州的中文教育起了积极推动的作用。
Please find our most recent newsletter by clicking the “Newsletters” tab above. We are also in the planning stages for our upcoming annual conference which will be held on October at Awty International School in Houston. Conference details will be announced soon.
STARTTALK Texas Teacher Program
Please know that the Chinese Studies Program of the University of Houston will be conducting The STARTALK Texas Teacher Program beginning in July. The program is free to qualified participants. Deadline for admission is April 3, 2012. Please see the link below for details of the program and how to apply.
New Year / Newsletter / Dues / Videos
Thank you for visiting CLTA-TX. Welcome to the end of 2011, and to the beginning of a New Year. We are have just issued our Fall-Winter newsletter, which you may find by clicking on the “Newsletter” tab above. Also, as we approach 2012, it is time for current members to pay dues. You may find information on how to pay dues below or by clicking on the “membership” tab above. (For those of you who joined CLTA-TX in or after August as a new member, your membership is valid through 12/31/2012 and you don’t need to renew it).
Finally, the two videos. The first one shows Dr. Eric Shepherd performing Shangdong Kuaishu at the Dallas conference in August. If you attended the conference, you may see yourself in the audience. The second video shows board member and newsletter editor Meng Lelan practicing Wushu. This video will give you an idea of her talent, and also remind you to be friendly with her if you bump into her. If you like you may leave a comment, although your comments will not necessarily appear on the site.
Dues: The individual membership due is $20/year, and institutional memberships are $50/year if your school has fewer than 10 teachers. Please make your check payable to CLTA-TX and send the check to PO Box 311324, Houston, TX 77231. Please make sure to include following information when you send the check: your English name, Chinese name, email address, phone number and where do you work. For more membership details please see the “membership” tab.